Enhancing our eyes with well-defined lines is a timeless makeup technique that never loses its charm. While traditional pencil and liquid liners have their place, there’s a world of creativity waiting for you beyond them. Believe it or not, eyeshadow can be a versatile and imaginative tool to achieve a variety of eye-catching looks, from subtle enhancements to dramatic winged styles.
Renowned makeup artist Maria Gianno emphasizes, “Anyone can wield the power of eyeshadow as eyeliner. With eyeshadow, you have the freedom to explore a broader spectrum of eye looks compared to the sometimes harsh and challenging nature of liquid liners.” In this comprehensive guide, we’ll unveil the art of using eyeshadow as eyeliner.
Materials and Getting Started
1. Select a Matte Eyeshadow: Eyeshadows come in an array of finishes and formulations, but Maria Gianno’s preference leans towards matte eyeshadows for eyelining. Why? Matte formulas tend to offer richer pigmentation, making them the go-to choice for creating bold lines. If you’re aiming for a touch of sparkle, begin with a flat eyeshadow as your base and layer it with shimmer eyeshadow for intensified definition and brilliance.
2. Acquire an Angled Eyeshadow Brush: The beauty of this technique lies in its simplicity. Gianno recommends employing an angled brush as your sole tool, as it provides the precision necessary for achieving soft, smoky, or sharp eyeliner looks. This versatile brush grants you the freedom to craft the liner style of your choice. For those desiring a tight-line effect, a flat brush can be utilized to gently apply color along the lash line, ensuring even distribution.
3. Decide on Wet or Dry Application: Eyeshadow primarily consists of dry powder, but the application can be adapted to suit your desired outcome. If you’re seeking a subtle wash of color along your lash line, opt for a dry application. However, for intensified color and prolonged wear, dampen your brush with setting spray. This simple step significantly enhances pigment adherence. Maria Gianno advises, “For enduring results, consider spritzing your brush with setting spray. This will facilitate smoother eyeshadow application and ensure prolonged wear.”
1. Prepare with an Eyeshadow Primer: For effective utilization of eyeshadow as eyeliner, proper preparation is key. Gianno recommends commencing with an eyeshadow base, such as the Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Eyeshadow and Concealer Primer. This base serves as the ideal foundation for eyeshadow adhesion. Apply it to your lash line or across your entire lid if you plan to create a comprehensive eye look. Allow the base to fully dry before proceeding.
2. Begin Crafting Your Line: As you apply the shadow, gently and gradually glide your brush across your eyelid. Initiate from the inner corner and smoothly drag the brush along the lash line. Depending on your desired intensity, you may need to reapply the color by rewetting your brush and making additional passes.
3. Elevate the Drama: Once you’ve expertly lined your lash line, the artistic freedom is yours to explore. Should you aspire to don a winged liner look, extend your brush upward, toward the outer corner of your eye, and gently drag it until a distinct wing shape takes form.
For those inclined towards a smoky liner, follow these steps: After applying the liner along the lash line, position the same brush at an angle along the line and move it upwards, creating a beautifully smudged effect.
4. Accentuate Your Lower Lashline: Eyeshadow’s versatility extends to enhancing your lower lash line. Gianno advises, “When lining your lower lash line, consider blending your eyeshadow as close to the lash line as possible.” Initiate from the outer corner of your eye, drawing a subtle, slender line. To prevent smudging throughout the day, apply translucent powder beneath the line. To conclude, you can easily tidy up any eyeshadow fallout on your upper or lower lash line with a Q-tip and makeup remover.
There you have it – a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to using eyeshadow as eyeliner. This technique unlocks a world of creative possibilities, enabling you to redefine and accentuate your eyes with precision and style. So, the next time you reach for your eyeshadow palette, remember that it’s a versatile tool, offering endless opportunities to enhance your eye makeup game.